I found it very hard to cope with this gratitute from people who have been through a lot. I was just there to run. And with the Tour d’Afrique it’s the same: I just want to ride my bicycle, because I like riding my bicycle and discovering new places. I have no other motives whatsoever 🙂
The TDA foundation was founded at the same time as the first edition of the Tour and has two main goals:
- To give something back to the people of the areas that the Tour passes through
- To raise consciousness about bicycles as an alternative and sustainable means of transport
To fulfill these objectives the Foundation focuses on three areas
- Donating bikes to individuals and organizations in Africa
- Supporting bicycle advocacy
- Promoting projects that protect the environment.
The TDA Foundation has donated more than 2300 bicycles to more than 70 grassroots organizations and communities in 8 African countries and India.